Welcome to the University of East London: Archives
As the new term is now officially underway, we would like to take this opportunity to highlight the Archival collections that we hold here at the University of East London and also to briefly detail the services available from the Archive. My name is Paul Dudman and I am the Archivist here at UEL.
At present, our Archival collections held are listed below and please follow the highlighted hyperlinks to read further details on each of the collections:
- The British Olympic Association Archive and Library (located at the UEL Docklands Campus)
- The East London People’s Archive. (located at the UEL Docklands Campus)
- The East London Theatre Archive (Digital Archive Available online at: www.elta-project.org/home.html)
- The Hackney Empire Theatre Archive (located at UEL Stratford Campus)
- The Online Theatre Histories Archive (Digital Archive Available Online at: www.otha.org.uk)
- The Refugee Council Archive (located at the UEL Docklands Campus)
- The University of East London Institutional Archive (located at the UEL Docklands Campus)
We are committed to provide a range of services to both undergraduate, postgraduate and research students and staff at the University of East London and we also welcome enquiries from external researchers and members of the public. We endeavour to make our Archives as open and accessible as we can and to do this with developed a range of services which we hope will help support our Archive users.
These services can include the provision of Individual and Group Archive Induction and Guidance Sessions for undergraduate, postgraduate and research students whilst we are also happy to seek to engage with our academic community through the provision of one-to-one and group teaching support combined with activity engaging with e-learning activity through the utilisation of our of archives and special collections, both physical and digital. We are keen to embed our Archives within UEL academic courses and we would welcome any expressions of interest from UEL academic staff who may wish to make use of our Collections in support of their courses and learning and teaching requirements. We are always looking at ways in which we can develop our Archives to support the learning experience of our students.
In addition, we are looking to develop a number of online tools to help facilitate access to our Archival collections. To date, these include:
- A new Archives online portal at: wordpress.com/
- A Refugee Archives specific web resource at: wordpress.com/
- Online access to our Archival descriptions at: Archives Hub and AIM25 and Archives Portal Europe
- Dedicated Twitter Accounts for the UEL Archives (@ArchivesUEL) and Refugee Archive (@refugee_archive).
- A Jiscmail Refugee Research
We would strongly recommend that you have a look at some of these resources and we hope that you will find them useful and rewarding. We would also recommend any feedback on the range of services that we offer here at the UEL Archives and do please get in touch with any question or query that we may have.
Archive opening hours for the UEL Docklands Campus Archive will be Mondays to Fridays: 1pm to 6pm for a drop-in service. Access to the Stratford Campus Archive for the Hackney Empire Archive is by Prior Appointment Only and morning appointments can also be made for the Docklands Archive between 10am and 12pm.
To contact the Archivist to make an appointment, or with any other query, please contact: Paul Dudman on 020 8223 7676 or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org.